Actually, the group is working in Materials Science by developing compact nanolayers of crystals on the surface of polypyrrol and polyaniline; in developing high surface electrodes by using carbon nanotubes or producing polypyrrole nanotubes; and in the preparation of dendrimers containing different carbosilane cores and incorporating carborane clusters in the periphery.
The group is also dedicated to get procedures for the high yield synthesis of mono- and di-anionic weakly coordinating species.
Point of view of Applicability . The group is interested in:
- Ion recognition , thus chemical sensors based on Ion Selective Electrodes, or ISFET’s, Ion Selective Field Effect Transistors; transport membranes based on Supported Liquid Membranes (SLM’s) and Fixed Site Complexing Membranes (FSCM’s).
- Extraction of radionuclides from nuclear wastes as part of the partitioning process based on metallacarboranes and carborane phosphine oxides.
- Homogeneous catalysis applied to hydrogenation, polymerisation, cyclopropanation and Kharasch catalysis of alkenes.
- Medicinal chemistry. Boron clusters are developed as boron anti-tumor agents for BNCT, Boron Neutron Capture Therapy, and radioimaging / radiotherapy with iodine containing boron compounds.
- Conducting organic polymers . Polypyrrole and polyaniline, doped with anionic boron clusters, are produced either chemically or electrochemically to be used in water desalting and for sensor devices making benefit of their electrical and electrochromic properties.
- Nanotechnology . It is focused in developing i) compact nonalayers of crystals on the surface of polypyrrol and polyaniline for electroactive smart polymers and their applications as sensors making benefit of their electrical and electrochromical properties; ii) high surface electrodes, by producing nanotubes for desalinisation technology; and iii) on dendrimers that combine the unique features of the dendrimers architecture with the boron chemistry, aiming for a range of interesting applications. It is the consistency of structure of the dendrimers that makes them ideal building blocks for creating active nano-materials and multifunctional nanosystems.
- Ionic liquids based on anionic boron clusters to be used in electrosynthesis, as components of biphasic systems, as substitutes of volatile organic solvents, and catalysis. To this aim research in this group is dedicated to get procedures for the high yield synthesis of mono- and di-anionic weakly coordinating species in order to explore the properties of this new type of ionic liquids.